Thursday, December 2, 2010

Late Thanksgiving Post

I know it's a week after Thanksgiving, but I'm continually being reminded of everything we have to be thankful for. For Thanksgiving we visited my sister and also celebrated Christmas with my side of the family. We had lots of yummy food and great gifts. I felt extremely blessed and thankful after our weekend together.
But it wasn't until yesterday evening that I was truly humbled in my thankfulness. Our church is for the first time a host site for a homeless outreach called Port. Churches partner together and combine forces to host the homeless (they get to sleep at the church), and feed them at least dinner and breakfast the next day, sometimes they send them with bag lunches. I was on the cooking team. It was a great team. They were very easy and enjoyable to work with. We served them fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and rolls oh and chocolate cake. I served the gravy on the line. The guests were very kind and thankful. Many of them had on uniforms or work clothes and I assume they are trying to pull themselves out of this situation.
One family just broke my heart. A mom with two young boys. One I would guess was 3 and the other a baby like 9 or 10 months old.They walked to the church (it was 40 degrees out) and had only thin coats on. The baby only had one sock on. The mom looked like she could have been my age. I can only imagine the things that could have brought them to this point. She had a maid's uniform on, so I know she is trying. We got the mom some clothes for her baby and of course everyone got a hot dinner and breakfast. The social workers heard her whole story and can get her some more help.
Then I put on my Columbia jacket, got in my Honda Pilot littered with many more baby toys then we really need, used the GPS, and listened to XM radio, went home to our warm house, played wii on our HD tv, had a snack, and went to bed in my cozy bed. We have SO much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment