Saturday, May 21, 2011

What's Up!

Well, I know I'm a bag blogger. Really for the past few months I have just not felt inspired to blog about anything. But, here's what's been going on. In March we started hearing rumors of changes in the Ethiopia adoption system- that came true. They are saying they are only processing 5 cases a day, they used to process up to 15-20 a day, so it's a big slow down. We had also been waiting for 7 months since we had completed our dossier paperwork with no referral. We had been feeling a lot of uncertainty about the adoption- to the point that we seriously considered stopping or putting a hold on the adoption. We were having thoughts that it would be years before our baby would be home.
Then, we got a spark of good news one day. We heard we were within the top ten on the referral list and that they expect to get more referrals soon. That was a glimmer of hope, so we stuck with it, and I'm so glad we did.

On Monday, May 16, at 3:30pm, after 7 1/2 months of waiting- we got THE CALL! They had matched us with a baby. We had a referral! Due to confidentiality agreements we can't tell you much about him since this is a public blog (even though I only have like 4 readers). You see, technically he's not officially ours until our first trip to Ethiopia where it is finalized in court. If I see you in person I can show you his picture, but I can't publish anything public about his specific details. He's a boy, and he's 4 months old, that's about all I can say. He is the cutest thing ever! I have to admit I had feared being assigned a not so attractive baby. Heck when I was pregnant I was worried about giving birth to a not so attractive baby. I have to say... he is so CUTE. Just the biggest, sweetest brown eyes. Some people have commented that he has slightly lighter skin (we don't care about that), but let me explain. We don't know his total background for sure, but Ethiopia is close the the middle east (like Saudi Arabia), so some Ethiopians have light skin due to some mixing with that region. Anyways, he's cute.

Like I said, it's not official until after our first trip, but we have signed the papers to proceed with his adoption and it's rare for adoptions to fall through at this point, but possible. 

So, back to those changes in the Ethiopian court system. They are in effect to only process 5 a day, but we've still been told to expect the same tProxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

eline we had originally been told. I guess the wait is only going to get longer if they get backed up, which it's such a new process they haven't gotten backed up yet. Our baby also has a minor special need (It's minor, but might require a surgery on his mouth). It's up to the doctor in Ethiopia, but if the doctor thinks he needs to get home sooner to get the surgery or because he's getting sick we could get our case expedited. At this point we're expecting to go on our first trip in 3-4 months, and our second trip 5-8 weeks after that. So, we are expecting that if all goes well he'll be home before the end of the year... YAY!

It would be good news if we were expedited, but at the same time it would only happen because our baby would be sick (no one wants him to get sick) and it would mean we might have to travel to Ethiopia during camp (which would be fine, but stressful). At the same time we want him to get out of that orphanage and into our loving family quickly. The longer a baby stays in an orphanage the higher the risk of developmental and physical delays and illnesses. That part is all a mix of emotions, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Now, we just have to wait to hear when our court date is in Ethiopia and if the doctor wants to expedite our case. Again we wait but at least now I have his adorable picture to look at and know specifically who we're praying for. 

Please help us pray for baby #2 Gourley, that he will be healthy and well cared for and that he will come home to us quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment